Friday, January 22, 2010

About my piece in the Arttransponder exhibit...


Over the course of preparing for the show, our group met many times to discuss the topics relevant to our course, and how our projects were developing in relation to those topics. As you know, the name of the class is: "Points of Penetration: The Grotesque Body & Humor in Art". Obviously, many different kinds of physical penetration were discussed.

I thought it would be worthy to investigate the penetration of the body by light, or by a spirit. I have always been inspired by Hildegard of Bingen, and thought it would be interesting to engage with that immaterial inspiration in a bodily way, in which something material was produced; ie; An illumination by Hildegard through me, documenting the event in which she penetrated my body/soul/mind, and produced a vision. The drawing and the supporting ephemera are the physical records of that moment of penetration, and I think of my piece for the show as a kind of grotesque body.

Also, I'd like to think that the work is not without humor, in the way that it may be extremely presumptuous to assume that this could even occur, and that it would happen in America---as I am American, and she is German.

Nonetheless, I was truly feeling inspired in the making, and enjoyed the process immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment