Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Urs Fischer at the New Museum


At least two of us are in NYC right now (I ran into Brigid on the street last night!) and last week I went and checked out Urs Fischer:Marguerite de Ponty at the New Museum. The museum itself continues to be a circulation nightmare... getting from floor to floor stinks, but this show makes the awful, bottom-of-a-swimming-pool feeling work. One floor is papered with photographic wallpaper of the room itself, including the ceiling. It's strange and queasy and hard to describe. Also, there is the monumental array of mirrored cubes printed with everyday objects (my favorite is the cheese!).

I think I probably have some gripes about the show too, like the blobby aluminum pieces on the 5th floor and especially the flaccid pink streetlamp. Maybe grotesque but not at all uncanny. But this is:


So I am enjoying my vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Jealous. I just ran into the cops. Then I ran into my Grandma. I dont know which is worse, just that Urs Fisscher is better.

    ReplyDelete